11 December 2012

NOT AMONG STRANGERS

When I awoke in the army hospital, it all seemed like a bad dream.  The explosion as our jeep passed over the mine, drifting in and out of consciousness as I was rushed to the hospital, the vague awareness that I had broken bones and a concussion.

But I was going to be all right.  Thank You, God, thank you!  Than I began to wonder what day it was.  Our unit had started out December 23rd.  That was 48 hours ago.  Then today was December 25th. Christmas!

I thought of my wife who was expecting our first child.  Was there any news?

A ward boy whistled nearby while he handed out mail.  He stopped at my bedside.  "Do you think you can stand some mail from home?"

I grabbed the packet.  The letters from my sisters and friends I put aside for later. Of the half-dozen from my wife, I chose the one with the latest date, November 30th, and tore it open.

"Dearest Love,

Please be careful now because there is a little girl who wants to see you very much.  She weighs six pounds, eight ounces..."

I was a father!!!

Through the blur of tears I saw a face hovering over mine.  "What's wrong?"  the nurse asked apprehensively.  Too choked up to speak, I handed her my letter.  She read it, patted my shoulder and left.

The longing for home was stronger than ever now.  I should be with my wife and my daughter on Christmas Day!  I should be with those whom I love and who love me, not among strangers who do not care, I thought.

I lay back staring at the ceiling, engulfed by loneliness.

Hours later, an irritating squeak broke through my lonely reverie.  The ward boy was back, this time pushing a cart.  There were two nurses with him and a doctor and another ward boy. 

What was wrong?  Then, on the cart, I saw it, the most beautiful cake in the world.  The words on it read, "Congratulations, Daddy!"

Someone had cared enough to salvage a sad Christmas for one lonely soldier.  In spite of the war and hatred in our world, gentleness and concern can still prevail.  (Mario Picarelli)

More to come this Christmas Season.

May you all enjoy a safe and blessed CHRISTMAS Season.

Your Brother in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment